We are spoiled for choice when it comes to dining at high-end restaurants in Melbourne, where there are many excellent options. The city is a gumbo of cuisines and influences, and it also has some seriously chic interior design to offer.
An always-evolving Vietnamese-Australian eatery, a luxurious newcomer from a seasoned industry veteran, and Turkish wares that are both ingenious and delectable in equal measure
The city also has a lot to offer in terms of interior design. The restaurants in Melbourne that truly stand out as some of the best in the city are the ones that leave diners with an impression that stays with them and encourages them to come back for more.
They have thought of everything, from the drinks list and the menu to the atmosphere and the service at the restaurant. They have everything covered.
On the other hand, not all of them can be found in the Central Business District. There are restaurants in Melbourne that are considered to be among the best in the city that can be found in some of the city's most obscure suburban streets, tucked away below ground, or even on the 55th floor of the Rialto building.
We have combed through the entirety of the city to compile this guide for you in an effort to make it as sweeping as is humanly possible. The following is a list of the best restaurants that Melbourne has to offer for the calendar year 2022:
Restaurants In Melbourne You Have To Try
The restaurant's decor is very "Aussie" because it's housed in a converted metal works factory (a blend of toughness with a touch of class). The menu is a perfect reflection of his training, fusing European and Asian influences to create a unique and delicious fusion of flavors.
To say that most people have a positive impression of the goods and services provided by Cutler & Co. would be an understatement. The restaurant is regularly ranked among the top 50 restaurants in the world by a number of respected publications.
They have won multiple awards for being Melbourne's finest fine-dining establishment from publications like the Herald Sun and Time Out. This will come as welcome news to anyone, but those who appreciate fine dining will be especially pleased. Regulars know they can count on having a good time at both of these restaurants.
When it comes to fine Italian dining, there is no finer establishment than Grossi. Its doors first opened in the very early 20th century.
The food is fantastic, but that's not all you get to enjoy at Grossi; there are many other amenities there for your use as well. On certain days, in addition to hearing some incredible live ambient sounds, you'll get a taste of the passion and love that are intrinsic to a culture that places a premium on the principles of service and honor.
Each ingredient is hand-picked, and the flavors are fine-tuned to the point of perfection before being made available to the public.
Grill's downstairs, where wood smoke hangs in the air, is a sleek and bustling scene of power lunching and post-theatre sustenance. A wide selection of handmade pasta dishes share menu space with flame-grilled vegetables and meat from sustainable farms.
The Vue de Monde is one of the few restaurants with a view that can be compared to others in the same league. You will have the chance to indulge in Shannon Beckett's reinterpretation of French cuisine atop the Rialto while taking in the breathtaking views of the city below. It is true that the food is the star of the show, but the ambience that is created by the setting is absolutely impossible to resist.
If we were to make a recommendation for "special locations," Vue de Monde is an essential component that must be included.
My top choice for a restaurant comes in the form of a casual eatery, and one that exemplifies this type of dining is Tipo 00, which can be found in the Central Business District of Melbourne and is situated within a laneway. The restaurant does not make an effort to draw excessive attention to itself. Could you please explain what this means?
The cuisine known as Tipo 00 is what would be served at a restaurant if an Italian kitchen were to be converted into a dining establishment. The open kitchen that looks out onto a dining room that is very cosy is the first thing that catches your eye when you walk in the door.
Not only does this help to foster an environment that is warm and inviting, but it also demonstrates that the chef is confident in both themselves and their abilities to the extent that they are willing to let you watch them prepare food.
They do not offer any other services besides the one that they specialise in, which is Italian cuisine, more specifically pasta. The name of this type of flour, which is known as "Italian 00 flour," comes from the fact that it is utilised in the manufacturing process of this particular company's pasta.
Do not be deceived by the fact that Tipo 00, in general, makes an effort to avoid attracting attention to itself. They live up to expectations!
Over the course of their history, they have been recognised with a large number of prestigious accolades, including Time Out's pick for the best restaurant offering casual dining and the title of best new restaurant in Australia, amongst many others.
Attica, which is in every way genuinely Australian in its authenticity, completely reimagines what it means to take pleasure in a meal of exceptional quality. They are of the opinion that expensive tableware is less important to an enjoyable experience at a fine dining establishment than an inviting atmosphere that promotes conversation.
They are of the opinion that fine dining does not require the use of the most expensive ingredients possible but rather focuses on the creative application of Australian flavors that are sourced locally.
Because of their commitment to purchasing goods that are grown in the surrounding area, they have grown into a successful business that has a significant impact on the economy of the surrounding area.
The dish that you currently have in front of you does not contain any gold leaf. In spite of this, you will have the chance to indulge in authentic contemporary Australian cuisine. This style of cooking is distinguished by the use of regional ingredients, such as the native Australian crayfish known as marron, which is often described as having the appearance of a lobster.
Despite this, the restaurant has maintained its status as the Rosetta Stone for everything that is associated with the gloomy and dimly lit dining room. Shewry is known for bringing a dry sense of wit to the table in addition to a sense of playfulness.
Shewry is well aware of the expense that is involved in preparing his world-famous 10-ish course meal, so he makes it a point to give the meal some significance, particularly in terms of paying tribute to Indigenous culture and ingredients.
The meal is known for being one of the most expensive meals in the world. He is a complete and stunning success, having attained the goals he set for himself.
Another one of Andrew McConnell Cumulus Inc.'s works can be discovered in the affluent community of Flinders Lane. In each of Andrew McConnell's restaurants and other businesses, you can always count on the same high level of sophistication and quality.
One of the very few lists that includes restaurants that are open for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner, this is one of those lists!
Flower Drum is one of our go-to restaurants for Chinese food not only due to the restaurant's innovative take on Cantonese cuisine but also due to the restaurant's reputation for serving food of the highest possible quality. You won't run into any superior or grouchy workers during your time in this location. The fact that this restaurant is featured on this list is a direct consequence of the exceptional service that it offers to its customers.
The interpretations that one of Melbourne's most lauded chefs, Thi Le, who is known for elevating Southeast Asian cuisine to incredible new heights, has created.
The fascinating and forward-thinking cuisine that is prepared by chef and co-owner Thi Le at the contemporary Vietnamese-Australian restaurant Anchovy is not the most exciting thing about the restaurant; rather, the restaurant's ongoing process of transformation.
Anchovy used to be an à la carte restaurant, but now they only offer a pre-selected menu with between eight and ten different options.
This is the third establishment that Andre McConnell owns and operates that is featured on this list. When it comes to tackling Japanese fusion, McConnell, who is a master chef, brings to the table the same kind of self-assurance that Supernormal brings to the table.
Be careful not to confuse this establishment with its younger sister, the Supernormal Canteen, which can be found in St. Kilda; the establishment that is highlighted on this list is the full-fledged restaurant.
The eatery opens at 11 in the morning and is open for business all the way up until very late in the evening.
It's possible that you've heard of Heston Blumenthal because he was a contestant on the Australian version of MasterChef. Dinner by Heston, which is considered to be his flagship establishment, can be found in south Melbourne. However, he also has a location in London, which is where the majority of his time is spent.
This is one of the best restaurants in Melbourne for serving genuine British cuisine because the menu features items that date as far back as the 12th century. Some of the dishes on the menu have been passed down from generation to generation.
The problem that a great number of Asian dining establishments struggle with is a lack of creativity in the food that they serve. In light of this, if you come across an authentic Asian restaurant that boasts actual Japanese and Korean chefs, you realise that you really don't have any other option but to dine at the establishment in question.
Bar Lourinha has had such a profound effect on Melbourne's dining scene over the past 15 years that it has become an institution, despite the fact that its youthful vitality belies this description. Bar Lourinh has had such an impact over the past 15 years that he deserves this recognition.
Its dynamic music, attentive personnel, and décor that successfully blends sleek and sophisticated features with exuberant kitsch aspects all contribute to its status as a timeless and indispensable venue.
The approach that the blackboard wine list takes, which leans Spanish without even being didactic and can be summed up as "all that is good in the world," is an approach that perfectly captures the atmosphere of sitting at Lourinh's bar.
Di Stasio Città
The Spring Street location now serves ricotta gnudi and saltimbocca alla Romana. Furthermore, the maltagliati dish, which is traditionally served with calamari and radicchio, has been brought here. Citta's priorities do not include the search for the new, unless you count the experimental video installations that are constantly playing in the background.
You are, however, welcome to sit in the brutalist dining room, where you can relax knowing that that Negroni will be expertly prepared. T
With the constant line for walk-in spots, this is not to say that any other seats are of a lower They are not of quality, and this does not imply that they are.
Respecting the integrity of the ingredients is of the utmost importance, if that means allowing fermented cucumbers to do their thing with dill and feta, allowing nicely cooked bavette steak to be enhanced by fermented porcini, or letting a passionfruit posset to prove how helpful pineapple ice can be. It is immaterial.
In the case of the wine, the same principle holds true. On the dining scene in Melbourne, Embla was one of the the first and most influential promoters of natural and simple involvement wines, and the restaurant's list is a testament to the owners' wit and wisdom in selecting those wines.
FAQs About Melbourne Restaurants
Top Best local favourite restaurants in Melbourne, FL
- Grey Belly. 4.7 mi. American (Traditional)
- The Mansion. 5.0 mi.
- Ocean 302 Bar & Grill. 7.4 mi.
- Crush XI. 4.9 mi.
- Me-N-Titos. 2.8 mi.
- Squid Lips. 1.8 mi.
- 4th Street Filling Station.
- The Fat Snook. 10.6 mi.
Best Foods in Melbourne You Must Try
- Salt and pepper calamari.
- Fairy bread.
- Chicken Parma.
- Anzac biscuits.
- Dim sim.
- Pigs in a blanket.
- Spag bol.
Food and Wine Regions of Australia – Victoria
Melbourne is world-known for its coffee culture and multicultural cuisine. With the higher number of cafes and restaurants, Melbourne is the top city for food in Australia, especially freshly prepared food from worldwide, in your favourite format.
Melbourne is Australia's culinary capital and has the numbers to prove it. Melbourne has more than 3,500 restaurants and serves up cuisines from more than 70 countries.
The best of the best on Australia's dining scene.
They visit unannounced and pay their way so you can feel confident every restaurant featured here should offer a winning experience.
- Attica, Vic.
- Momofuku Seiobo, NSW.
- Quay, NSW.
- Orana, SA.
- Brae, Vic.
- Cutler & Co, Vic.
- Laura, Vic.
- Dinner By Heston Blumenthal, Vic.
Melbourne's cuisine and culture are a melting pot of influences. There is also some seriously stylish interior design to be found in this city. What makes a restaurant truly memorable to its patrons is its ability to stand out among the other restaurants in the city. When it came to high-end dining, Grossi Florentino was an early adopter. In Melbourne, Cutler & Co. is universally regarded as the finest dining establishment.
When it comes to refined Italian dining, there is no finer establishment than Grossi. When looking for a restaurant with a view, Vue de Monde is one of the few that can be placed in the same league as Vue de Monde. When you walk in, the first thing you'll notice is the open kitchen that has a view into the cosy dining room. This flour gets its moniker, "Italian 00 flour," because it is used in the production of the pasta made by this particular company. They have become successful as a company because they insist on only buying locally grown products.
Shewry, a resident of Melbourne, is well-known for his playful spirit and wry sense of humour. The jockey comes off as slightly sarcastic and self-deprecating, but their seriousness, intelligence, and heart make up for it. Before, diners at Anchovy could order from an a la carte menu, but now they must choose from among eight and ten fixed selections. Like its sister restaurants Kisumé and Supernormal Canteen, Chin Chin is owned and operated by the same group. Definitely the best place in Melbourne to get some authentic British food.
Dishes on the menu go all the way back to the Middle Ages. A few of the dishes on the menu have been served at family gatherings for decades. The bar and restaurant Bar Lourinh have become Melbourne landmarks. Citta, a new Italian restaurant, has recently opened on Melbourne's hip Spring Street. Only "the disorganised or those looking for some spontaneity in their lives" are allowed to use walk-in slots.
- We are spoiled for choice when it comes to dining at high-end restaurants in Melbourne, where there are many excellent options.
- It would be an understatement to say that the majority of people have a favourable opinion of the goods and services offered by Cutler & Co. Several publications have consistently placed the eatery among the top 50 restaurants in the world, making it one of its frequent rankings.
- You will be pleased to learn that they have also been named the best restaurant in Melbourne for fine dining on multiple occasions by a number of websites, such as the Herald Sun and Time Out.
- In the Central Business District neighbourhood of Melbourne, the Grossi Florentino restaurant was one of the first upscale dining spots to open its doors.
- The restaurant Grossi is the pinnacle of elegance when it comes to Italian cuisine.
- Vue de Monde is one of the few restaurants with a view that can be compared to others in the same league.
- My top choice for a restaurant comes in the form of a casual eatery, and one that exemplifies this type of dining is Tipo 00, which can be found in the Central Business District of Melbourne and is situated within a laneway.
- The cuisine known as Tipo 00 is what would be served at a restaurant if an Italian kitchen were to be converted into a dining establishment.
- Over the course of their history, they have been recognised with a large number of prestigious accolades, including Time Out's pick for the best restaurant offering casual dining and the title of best new restaurant in Australia, amongst many others.
- In spite of this, you will have the chance to indulge in authentic contemporary Australian cuisine.
- In light of everything that Ben Shewry, chef and owner of Attica, has been doing recently, the term "restaurant" might seem like too narrow of a category to describe what he's been doing.
- Despite this, the restaurant has maintained its status as the Rosetta Stone for everything that is associated with the gloomy and dimly lit dining room.
- Shewry is known for bringing a dry sense of wit to the table in addition to a sense of playfulness.
- The meal is known for being one of the most expensive meals in the world.
- In each of Andrew McConnell's restaurants and other businesses, you can always count on the same high level of sophistication and quality.
- Flower Drum is one of our go-to restaurants for Chinese food not only due to the restaurant's innovative take on Cantonese cuisine but also due to the restaurant's reputation for serving food of the highest possible quality.
- The interpretations that one of Melbourne's most lauded chefs, Thi Le, who is known for elevating Southeast Asian cuisine to incredible new heights, has created.
- The fascinating and forward-thinking cuisine that is prepared by chef and co-owner Thi Le at the contemporary Vietnamese-Australian restaurant Anchovy is not the most exciting thing about the restaurant; rather, the most exciting thing is the restaurant's ongoing process of transformation, which is the most exciting thing.
- It was a triangulation of food, art, and the X-factor that hit Melbourne with the energy of nuclear fission, and the name of the event was Di Stasio Città.
- Consolidating Rinaldo Di Stasio's reputation as the Medici of Melbourne's hospitality scene, the top end of town address means that the glitterati, politerati, and literati who are accustomed to trekking to the St. Kilda mothership can now enjoy an utterly familiar menu of Italian perfection right in their spiritual heartland.
- In addition, the ricotta gnudi and the saltimbocca alla Romana are now available at the Spring Street location.
- The search for the new is not one of Citta's priorities, unless you count the experimental video installations that are continuously playing in the background.
- It is anticipated that the nearby Bar Democratico will open its doors in 2022, further splitting the atom of the atom of the local bar scene in a manner that will be most captivating.
- Eating at the kitchen bar at Embla has been providing customers with one of the most memorable and well-known dining experiences in Melbourne ever since the restaurant first opened its doors five years ago.
- On the dining scene in Melbourne, Embla was one of the earliest and most influential advocates of natural and simple involvement wines, and the restaurant's list is a testament to the owners' wit and wisdom in selecting those wines.