If you want to try keto, finding a few local cafes and eateries in Melbourne that can accommodate your new lifestyle can be beneficial.
Here's the thing: starting a ketogenic diet is not easy. Carbohydrates are replaced with fats. Thus fundamental staples like bread, rice, and noodles are out. A restrictive diet restricts what you can and cannot eat.
A ketogenic diet, in which carbohydrates are replaced with fats, has become popular for its purported health benefits.
It's fantastic for individuals seeking to lose weight, but it's even better for the health benefits: lower blood sugar and insulin levels. We've compiled a list of keto-friendly eateries where you can dine.
Here's a list of eateries in Melbourne's CBD and nearby suburbs where you can dine low-carb:
Friendly Tips On Finding The Keto Restaurants In Melbourne
Everything you need to know about going out for meals while on the ketogenic diet is covered in this post.
Adhering to a ketogenic diet isn't simple, and staying on track is even more challenging when surrounded by friends enjoying their favourite foods. But you don't have to avoid family or friends dining out at events owing to your keto diet.
You can enjoy meals with low carbs and high fat even while eating in a restaurant. Finding a good restaurant that serves keto-friendly food takes some time and effort. There might be eateries able to make the menu items according to your low-carb requirements.
Eating out frequently can make it challenging to stick to a low-carb diet, but with some preparation, you can find some excellent keto-friendly restaurants in Melbourne.
Take A Look Through The Menu Online.
Checking through the menus on online websites is the most straightforward approach to finding keto restaurants in your neighbourhood. Platforms such as Google Maps and food delivery services make the menus of various restaurants available online. Since more individuals have begun to follow keto diets, it is easier to identify keto-friendly eateries that serve low-carb meals.
When you've located the restaurants, you can compare your alternatives by going to the official website. And choose the one with more keto-friendly options. You may also find online food delivery providers offering customised keto meal plans. Several services serve keto meals in Sydney, Melbourne, and other Australian cities.
If you're going out with someone else and their restaurant doesn't provide keto meals, try calling them and asking if they offer low-carb meals on special request.
You can get ready by perusing the restaurant's online menu before you go there. You can tell whether products on the menu are keto-friendly or low-carb by taking a glance at the menu. This way, you won't be pressured into making poor choices out of desperation.
If you'd prefer to eat in the comfort of your own home, you can always look into keto diet delivery in Sydney and other places. It's a brilliant concept.
Eat Healthy Fats
If you can't locate any alternatives, consider substituting healthy fats for carbs. Consuming components high in healthy fats will keep you full and satisfied. Ask the chef to serve your steak with natural butter, salad with vinegar and oil, and eggs cooked in butter, mayonnaise, and avocado inside your lettuce-wrapped burger. Many keto restaurants in Melbourne, Sydney, and other cities will prepare customised meals for you.
You no longer have to make sacrifices when dining out. If you explore and find tactics like this, there are possibilities everywhere. Online research can also assist you in getting keto meals delivered in Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra, and other desired locations.
The Keto Dining Guide To Melbourne
The challenges of eating out while following the ketogenic diet are well known to everyone who has tried it. With any luck, this list of keto-friendly Melbourne establishments can make sticking to your diet a little less chore.
Greek cuisine is a fantastic keto-friendly alternative. For a quick lunch that adheres to your dietary restrictions, stick to meaty low-carb alternatives at Stalactites. Begin with some dips accompanied by saganaki or feta cheese and olives. Then fill up on protein options from the grill. Skip the chips in favour of a Greek salad. Yum!
Stalactite is a well-known Greek restaurant that has been around for over 40 years. The restaurant not only serves low-carb meals and dinners, but it also caters to functions such as parties, celebrations, tour groups, and school groups.
Address: 177 – 183 Lonsdale St Melbourne, VIC 3000
Open Hours: Everyday 24hours
Some low-carb and keto options you can order are:
- Wrapped in a warm vegan, gluten-free pita with tomato, cucumber, and hot, seasoned chips, this vegan Souvlaki features homemade hummus and a variety of fresh vegetables.
- Chargrilled quails marinated in Greek seasonings, oregano, and white wine.
- Kokkinisto spaghetti is made with a casserole of beef in a tomato-based sauce and pasta.
- Greek salad, chargrilled chips, and lamb cutlets.
- Snapper Kalamari with Herbs and Garlic on the Grill
- Haricot beans, veggies, and tomato soup are the main components of this home-cooked bean soup.
- Natural beef T-bone steak
- Moussaka is created with fresh ingredients, such as potatoes, eggplant, ground meat, and bechamel sauce.
Betty's Burgers, CBD
Betty's Naked Burger is perfect for those who want a burger but are trying to stick to a ketogenic diet. For just $10, you can order the restaurant's renowned Bare Betty, a keto-friendly Angus beef burger with all the fixings. How? They use super low-carb lettuce to wrap it! Perfect for the keto fanatic who needs something to eat on the go.
Keto dieters may easily miss this late-night eatery based on appearances alone. Don't pass by this pork lover's paradise without glancing at it. Mr Crackles serves fresh slaw piled high with protein-rich pork, perfect for those watching their carb intake. Refuse to get along with salad? You can order "only the meat" and pay by the 100-gram increment if you don't want any sides.
Entrecote, South Yarra
One of Melbourne's finest French restaurants may be at this posh steakhouse. To top it all off, it works great with the ketogenic diet. Entrecote has many traditional French low-carb dishes, such as escargot, steak tartare, and quail. A beef fillet is a good option for individuals who want something heartier (hold the fries).
San Telmo, CBD
Argentinean is another fantastic choice for keto dieters because it is meat-heavy and carb-light. There are lots of keto-friendly menu options at Meyers Place's outstanding San Telmo. Consider ceviche of snapper or cobia, cured meat platters, and chargrilled cuttlefish. The grill is the clear winner here. Choose your meaty poison and prepare to spend the night.
San Telmo is an Argentine restaurant known for its amazing steaks and healthful keto meals inspired by some of the best South American delicacies.
Address: 14 Meyers Place Melbourne
Open Hours: Monday to Sunday 12noon – 11 pm
The following are examples of ketogenic and low-carbohydrate diets:
- Traditional Spanish tapas dish "Plato de Picada" features cured beef, handmade pickles, and chapa.
- Tira de Asado; prime beef short ribs from a grass-fed herd.
- Morcilla is a seasoned black sausage, and Ojo de life is a quality cut of dry-aged beef.
- Crudo is made of kingfish, fennel, chive oil, and grapefruit.
- Salsa provencal and chargrilled sardines make up Sardina's main ingredients.
- Ingredients for Pollo include free-range, corn-fed chicken, garlic, and mince.
- Dried chilli, fried provolone cheese, lemon, dried oregano, and pepper are the main components of Provoleta.
Agraba, North Melbourne
Agraba, like many Lebanese fares, is high in protein and hence suitable for the ketogenic diet. This North Melbourne mezze restaurant serves delicious traditional Lebanese fare and a soundtrack of your favourite tunes. Bring your records, and if they like them, they could play them! You can pick from a wide variety of selections, such as shanklish and halloumi, and then stick around for some tasty skewers.
Miss Chu, CBD
Vietnamese food is notoriously challenging to eat while adhering to the ketogenic diet. At Miss Chu, you may swap out the traditional vermicelli noodles for the low-carb Shirataki noodles in any dish. Shirataki is konjac yam root noodles that have a gelatinous texture. You read that right: there are no carbohydrates in these "wonder noodles."
Steakhouse Grill 66
Steakhouse Grill 66 has more meat to offer. You can get your fill of keto-friendly foods, including oysters, cheese, and grass-fed Angus beef, at this restaurant on the beautiful Newquay Promenade. Enjoy seafood, kid-friendly specials, and vegetarian selections all night long; this restaurant is great for groups with varying dietary needs.
Nosh is a cafe with a Japanese theme that serves excellent and healthful low-carb food that is prepared in-house.
Address: 352 Little Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Monday to Friday: 10.30 am -9 pm
- Saturday 11 am -8 pm.
- Sunday noon -8 pm
What you can get is as follows:
- Recipe for Tempah Teri-san, with teriyaki braised soybean cakes, quinoa, lotus roots, tofu, and kale beetroot salad.
- The tease of chicken teriyaki with jasmine rice, grilled teriyaki chicken, and a mixed leaf medley of vegetables.
- The Eye of the Tiger features tiger prawns, jasmine rice, lime sauce, tamarind, sweet potato and spinach salad, garlic, and coriander.
- The Wagyu-san features roasted veggies, seared Australian 9+ wagyu beef, mixed leaf medley, jasmine rice, and an egg.
- Brown rice, fresh tuna sashimi cubes, charred broccoli salad, pumpkin, and shoyu sauce comprise Sashimi Lovin.
- Coconut turmeric rice, cubes of Tasmanian salmon sashimi, salad greens, sweet potatoes, and a creamy roasted sesame sauce make up the Poker Party dish.
- Spicy caramel duck, a variety of leafy greens, cucumber, and soba noodles make up the Peek-ing Duck.
- Tacos with creamy sesame chicken
- Tacos with a killer honey barbeque beef
Grill'd a highly rated restaurant that serves free-range burgers. Their menu provides delectable, low-carb, and keto burger options for individuals who favour low-carb, high-fat diets.
Address: 157 Chapel St, WINDSOR, VIC, 3181
Open Hours: Monday to Sunday 11 am -10.30 pm
Some examples of low-carb and keto-friendly dishes from their menu are:
- The Mighty burger is packed with yummy goodies, including bacon, grass-fed beef, beetroot, cheddar, relish, a free-range egg, and herbed mayo.
- Grass-fed lean beef, cos lettuce, roasted peppers, Spanish onions, sour cream, jalapenos, delicious cheese, and chilli relish make up a Chilli Addict burger.
- Chicken breast, sour cream, cos lettuce, roasted peppers, Spanish onion, delicious cheese, and chilli relish comprise the Hot Bird burger.
- Chicken breast, salad, beetroot, relish, shredded carrot, and sweet chilli mayonnaise make up this tasty burger.
- Aged cheddar, quality wagyu beef, cos lettuce, truffle mayo, and fresh basil make up the Sir Truffle burger.
- Grass-fed lean lamb, beetroot, feta, red pepper pesto, and salad make up Nick the Greek burger.
- Grilled chicken breast, carrots, Spanish onion, beets, cos lettuce, fresh basil, avocado, cherry tomatoes, cherry nut mix, and extra virgin olive oil dressing make up this superpower salad.
- Typical components of a Chicken Caesar Salad include a fried or hard-boiled free-range egg, grilled chicken breast, romaine lettuce, bacon, croutons, shaved parmesan, and Caesar dressing.
Herbs & Beans
Herbs and Beans promote a healthy way of life by recommending numerous low-carb meals rich in fibre, moderate in protein, and abundant in healthy fats. They have a weight loss challenge and speciality coffee in addition to their low carb menu.
Address: Healeys Lane, Shop 6 / 551 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne
Open Hours: Monday to Friday 7 am -3.30 pm
Examples of foods that are both low in carbohydrates and ketogenic include:
- Fried cauliflower rice, chicken, fresh vegetables, handmade garlic, and Thai basil sauce combine to make Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice.
- Cucumber, grilled chicken, a variety of lettuces, tomatoes, homemade mayonnaise, and excellent cheese are all included in this Chicken Wrap.
- Cooked in a unique way that has become the chef's signature, this dish features pork belly, capsicum, broccoli, and cauliflower stir-fried with a variety of seeds.
- Signature cauliflower fried rice, handmade garlic, seasonal seafood veggie, and Thai basil sauce comprise the Seafood Cauliflower Fried Rice.
Riddick Cafe offers a variety of tasty low-carb options and may even provide catering for special occasions.
Address: 1–3 The Mall, Templestowe Lower VIC 3107
Open Hours: Monday to Sunday, 7 am -5 pm
Among the many meals that are suitable for the ketogenic diet are:
- The pork ribs are served with grilled bread, fried eggs with pico de gallo, and twice-baked beans.
- The Finest Quality Wild-Caught Salmon Cucumber, wakame, noodles, avocado, pickled carrots, and soybeans make up this delicious poke bowl.
- Grilled chicken, a poached egg, panko-crusted croutons, and crispy prosciutto make up this classic take on the Caesar salad.
- Salad of calamari seasoned with salt and pepper served with chimichurri salsa, rocket, aioli, coriander, and a squeeze of lime.
- Seared beef with spices, chimichurri, sour cream, guacamole, sautéed peppers and onions, shredded cheese, brown rice, and three toasted tortillas make up beef fajitas.
Low Carb Gourmet
The readers of low-carb gourmet are those who follow the LCHF diet and lifestyle. What's more, everything sold here is produced from scratch and only uses natural, free-range ingredients.
Address: 44 Empress Rd, Surrey Hills VIC 3127, Australia
Open Hours: Monday to Thursday 9 am -5 pm, Closed Friday to Sunday
Menu items that are suitable for those watching their carb intake include:
- Alfredo sauce with zoodles
- Bacon & halloumi bites
- Blueberry fried
- Butter chicken
- Cauli pilau
- Cauliflower rice
- Cheese and bacon frittata
- Chicken salad
- Lamb kofta with minted yoghurt
- Massam curry
- Thai red/green curry with chicken
- Vanilla cakes
- Zucchini and beef lasagne
The Burger Block
The Burger Block is an Asian fusion burger restaurant that serves a variety of low-carb and refined sugar-free dishes along with its signature burgers.
Address: 85 Willsmere Rd, Kew Vic 3101
- Monday – Friday 9:30am -3:30pm
- Saturday 9:30 am – 3 pm.
- Closed on Sundays and public holidays
Some examples of low-carb and keto-friendly dishes from their menu are:
- Red Lantern burger with lettuce, Spanish onions, beef patty, tomato, American cheese, bacon, and wasabi mayo/hot chilli mayo.
- Bacon, beef patty, lettuce, American cheese, Spanish onions, BB's Secret fusion sauce, and tomato make up the ingredients for the Chocka Block burger.
- Spanish onions, grilled chicken breast with an Asian twist, American cheese, tomato, lettuce, teriyaki sauce, and mayonnaise round out the ingredients for the Teriyaki Chicken burger.
- A fried egg, chicken schnitzel, bacon, lettuce, American cheese, Spanish onions, tomato, and mayonnaise are all part of the Yellow Block Road burger.
- Fried tempura hake fillet, American cheese, tomato, lettuce, tartare sauce, and mayonnaise make up the components of this tempura fish burger.
- Carrot potatoes, corn, onions, peas, tomatoes, American cheese, lettuce, Thai sweet chilli, beetroot, and mayonnaise come together to form the Veggie Patch burger, then fried.
- Beef mince, coconut flour, basil, cheese, onion, cream, olive oil, ricotta, egg, tomatoes, salt, and xanthan gum are some of the components in Keto Beef Lasagne.
- A pepperoni pizza made with almond flour, cheese, tomatoes, eggs, basil, garlic, cream cheese, yeast, and garlic powder.
FAQs About Melbourne Restaurants & Cafes
It would be best if you avoided cheating meals and days on the keto diet. Consuming too many carbs can kick your body out of ketosis — and it takes several days to 1 week to get back into it. In the meantime, your weight loss may be disrupted.
If we're talking about traditional french fries made with potatoes, then the answer to this question. French fries made with potatoes are delicious. However, potatoes are very high in carbs, and a keto diet is low carb. However, these rutabaga fries are low carb and Keto friendly!
Bring on the burgers. It's not too good to be true—ground beef is keto-approved! The low-budget meat you know and love can be incorporated into so many keto recipes whether you're in the mood for Mexican, meatloaf, or maybe a little pasta action (with zoodles, of course).
Yes — assuming you avoid mayonnaise that's high in sugar or other carbs. Since ketosis is about restricting carbs to low levels and initiating your body's consumption of fats over sugars, mayo's high-fat, low-sugar profile makes it very keto-friendly.
The keto diet could cause low blood pressure, kidney stones, constipation, nutrient deficiencies and an increased risk of heart disease. Strict diets like keto could also cause social isolation or disordered eating. Keto is not safe for those with any conditions involving their pancreas, liver, thyroid or gallbladder.
We no longer live in a period when dieting is prohibitively expensive, eating out on a ketogenic diet is nearly difficult, and maintaining the diet might be a challenge. It is now much simpler to discover a reasonably priced restaurant that offers a few ketogenic diet meals.
Because of the city's size, Melbourne is home to some excellent eateries serving ketogenic diet options, and these restaurants are conveniently located across the city. These are just a few of the fine eateries in Melbourne serving up healthy and satisfying keto fare.