If you're looking to try keto, it will be helpful to know a few local cafes and restaurants in Melbourne that can cater to your new lifestyle.
Here’s the thing: embarking on a ketogenic diet is no easy task. Carbohydrates are swapped out for fats, which means that basic staples like bread, rice, and noodles are a no-no. It's a restrictive diet that limits what you can and can't consume.
But many adopt a keto diet for health reasons – replacing carbs with fats places your body in ketosis, causing it to burn fats for fuel.
It’s great for those looking to shed some pounds but even better for the associated health benefits: reduced blood sugars and insulin levels. We round up some keto-friendly restaurants you can pop by for a meal.
Here’s a list of places near Melbourne CBD and surrounding suburbs you can go to keep it low-carb when eating out:
Friendly Tips On Finding The Keto Restaurants In Melbourne
This post will tell you everything about keto eating out and finding the right restaurants.
It is understood that following a keto diet isn’t that easy, and it is even more challenging to control yourself while your friends eat regular food in front of you. But you don’t have to avoid family or friends dining out at gatherings due to your keto diet.
You can enjoy meals with low carbs and high fat even while eating out in a restaurant. It only needs a little research and some planning to find a suitable restaurant with available keto meal options. There might be restaurants able to make the menu items according to your low-carb requirements.
If you eat out often, it might not be easy to control the carb count, but you can easily find keto restaurants in Melbourne with proper research and planning.
Take a look through the menu online.
The easiest way to find keto-restaurants in your area is by checking out the menu on the online websites. Platforms like Google maps and food delivery services provide the menu of various restaurants online. Since many people have started following keto diets, it is easier to find keto-friendly restaurants having low carb meals on their menu.
When you find the restaurants, you can compare the options by visiting the official website. And pick the one having more keto-friendly options. You may also find online food delivery services as they provide customised keto meal plans. Various services offer keto meals delivered in Sydney, Melbourne and other Australian cities.
If you are going out with somebody else and their restaurant does not include keto meals, try calling them to ask if they provide low-carb meals on special request.
Before you step out, you can prepare yourself by taking a sneak peek at the restaurant’s menu on the internet. By looking at the menu, you’ll know the suitable dishes for the keto diet or the items that can be prepared with low carbs. This way, you’ll not have to make unhealthy decisions at the last minute.
You also have the option to search for keto diet delivery in Sydney and other cities if you want to enjoy dining at home. And it is quite a good idea.
Eat healthy fats
If you don’t find any options, try replacing carbs with healthy fats. Consuming ingredients with healthy fats will keep you satisfied and full. Ask the chef to put natural butter on your steak, to serve salad with vinegar and oil, ask them to cook your eggs in butter and mayonnaise and avocado inside your lettuce-wrapped burger. Many keto restaurants in Melbourne, Sydney and other cities offer customised meals at your request.
You no longer need to compromise eating out in restaurants. There are options everywhere if you research and find strategies like these. Researching online can even help you get keto meals delivered in Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra and other preferred locations.
The keto dining guide to Melbourne
If you’re on the keto train, you know how hard it can be to eat out. Here’s a list of keto-friendly spots in Melbourne to make that strict diet regime a little bit easier.
Greek food is an excellent keto-friendly option. Stick to meaty low-carb options at Stalactites for an easy meal that fits your guidelines. Start with some dips paired with saganaki or feta cheese and olives. Then have your fill of protein options from the grill. Just cut out the chips and opt for a Greek salad instead. Yum!
Stalactite is a renowned Greek restaurant dating back more than 40 years ago. In addition to low carb meals and dinners, the restaurant also caters for functions, from parties to celebrations, tour groups, and school groups.
Address: 177 – 183 Lonsdale St Melbourne, VIC 3000
Open Hours: Everyday 24hours
Some low-carb and keto options you can order are:
- Vegan Souvlaki; ingredients include salad wrap with homemade hummus, tomato, hot seasoned chips, cucumber in a warm vegan, gluten-free pita, lettuce and carrot.
- Quails marinated in Greek spices, oregano, and white wine, then chargrilled.
- Spaghetti Kokkinisto; ingredients include beef casserole in a tomato-based sauce and spaghetti.
- Lamb Cutlets, chargrilled chips and Greek salad.
- Grilled Herbed Snapper
- Homemade bean soup; ingredients include haricot beans, vegetables, and tomato soup.
- Grass-fed T-bone steak
- Homemade Moussaka; ingredients include potatoes, eggplant, minced beef, and bechamel cream sauce.
Betty’s Burgers, CBD
If you’ve been craving a burger, but know it’s not keto-friendly, then Betty’s has the naked burger for you. Order their famous Bare Betty for $10, and you’ll get a keto Angus beef burger with all the trimmings. How? They wrap it in uber low-carb lettuce! An excellent on-the-run choice for the keto connoisseur.
From looks alone, this late-night diner might go undetected by keto eaters. But take a second look next time you walk by this pork loaded paradise. Low-carb lovers can load up on Mr Crackles‘ fresh slaw topped high with protein-packed pork. Don’t want to make friends with salad? Skip the veggies and order ‘just the meat’ in 100-gram increments.
Entrecote, South Yarra
This chic steak house is one of the best French bistros in Melbourne. And thankfully, it’s also very keto-friendly. Entrecote offers plenty of classic low-carb French options like escargot, steak tartare and quail. For those after something a little more substantial, try the beef fillet (hold the fries).
San Telmo, CBD
Meat-heavy and carb-light, Argentinean is another excellent choice for keto heads. The excellent San Telmo in Meyers Place delivers plenty of keto-friendly menu options. Think snapper or cobia ceviche, delicious cured meat platters, and a chargrilled cuttlefish. The real winner here is the grill. Choose your meaty poison and settle in for the night.
San Telmo is an Argentinian restaurant known for amazing steak and nutritious keto meals also borrowed from some of the best South American dishes.
Address: 14 Meyers Place Melbourne
Open Hours: Monday to Sunday 12noon – 11 pm
Here are the low-carb and ketogenic meals you can have:
- Plato de Picada; ingredients include cured meat, homemade pickles, and chapa.
- Tira de Asado; premium pasture-fed beef short ribs.
- Ojo de life; premium dry-aged beef eye
- Morcilla; spiced black sausage.
- Crudo; ingredients include kingfish, fennel, chive oil, and grapefruit.
- Sardina; ingredients include salsa provencal and chargrilled sardines
- Pollo; ingredients include free range corn fed chicken, minced garlic
- Provoleta; ingredients include dried chilli, fried provolone cheese, lemon, dried oregano, and pepper
Agraba, North Melbourne
Lebanese food can be very keto-friendly when it comes to protein options, and Agraba is no exception. This mezze restaurant in North Melbourne delivers authentic Lebanese with a side of great tunes. BYO vinyl, and if they dig it, they’ll spin it! Choose from many options like the shanklish or halloumi, then stay a little longer for the delicious skewers.
Miss Chu, CBD
Traditionally, Vietnamese cuisine is a difficult cuisine to negotiate when you’re on a keto diet. At Miss Chu, you can substitute vermicelli noodles in any dish for a low carb option called Shirataki noodles. Shirataki are gelatinous noodles made from a konjac yam root. They’re known as ‘miracle noodles’ because they contain zero carbs – yes, you heard that right, ZERO!
Steakhouse Grill 66
More meat awaits at Steakhouse Grill 66. Situated on the sparkling Newquay Promenade, you can meet your keto needs with oysters, cheese and grass-fed Angus beef. It’s also the perfect spot for group dining when there’s a mix of dietary requirements—Tuck into gluten-free options, seafood, kid’s specials and veg dishes to boot all night long.
Nosh is a Japanese-inspired cafe that offers wholesome low carb foods, made yet delicious.
Address: 352 Little Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Monday to Friday: 10.30 am -9 pm
- Saturday 11 am -8 pm
- Sunday noon -8 pm
Here are what you can have:
- Tempah Teri-san; ingredients include teriyaki braised soybean cakes, quinoa, lotus roots, tofu, and kale beetroot salad.
- Chicken teriyaki tease; ingredients include jasmine rice, seared teriyaki chicken, and vegetable mixed leaf medley.
- Eye of the Tiger; ingredients include tiger prawns, fragrant jasmine rice, lime sauce, tamarind, spinach sweet potato salad, garlic, and coriander.
- Wagyu-san; ingredients include roasted vegetables, seared Australian 9+ wagyu beef, mixed leaf medley, jasmine rice, and egg.
- Sashimi Lovin; ingredients include brown rice, fresh tuna sashimi cubes, charred broccoli salad, pumpkin, and shoyu sauce.
- Poker Party; ingredients include coconut turmeric rice, Tasmanian salmon sashimi cubes, spinach sweet potato salad, and creamy roasted sesame sauce.
- Peek-ing Duck; ingredients include spicy caramel duck, mixed leaf medley, cucumber, and soba noodles.
- Creamy Sesame Chicken Tacos
- Banging Honey BBQ Beef tacos
Grill'd is a top-rated restaurant that makes burgers from free-range products. Their menu includes delicious options for low carb and keto burgers for those who prefer low carb, high-fat diets.
Address: 157 Chapel St, WINDSOR, VIC, 3181
Open Hours: Monday to Sunday 11 am -10.30 pm
Based on their menu, some low-carb and ketogenic meals you can have are:
- The Mighty burger; ingredients include crispy bacon, grass-fed lean beef, beetroot, tasty cheese, relish, free-range egg, and herbed mayo.
- Chilli Addict burger; ingredients include grass-fed lean beef, cos lettuce, roasted peppers, Spanish onions, sour cream, jalapenos, tasty cheese, and chilli relish.
- Hot Bird burger; ingredients include chicken breast, sour cream, cos lettuce, roasted peppers, Spanish onion, tasty cheese, and chilli relish.
- Sweet Chili Chicken burger; ingredients include chicken breast, salad, beetroot, relish, shredded carrot, and sweet chilli mayo.
- Sir Truffle burger; ingredients include aged cheddar, premium wagyu patty, cos lettuce, truffle mayo, and fresh basil.
- Nick the Greek burger; ingredients include grass-fed lean lamb, beetroot, feta, red pepper pesto, and salad.
- Superpower salad; ingredients include grilled chicken breast, carrot, Spanish onion, beetroot, cos lettuce, fresh basil, avocado, cherry tomatoes, cherry nut mix, and extra virgin olive oil dressing.
- Chicken Caesar salad; ingredients include free-range egg, grilled chicken breast, cos lettuce, crispy bacon, croutons, shaved parmesan, and caesar dressing.
Herbs & Beans
Herbs and Beans advocates for a healthy lifestyle with plenty of low carb meals with high fibre, moderate protein, and good fats. Their low carb menu also includes a weight loss challenge and specialty coffee.
Address: Healeys Lane, Shop 6 / 551 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne
Open Hours: Monday to Friday 7 am -3.30 pm
Some low-carb and ketogenic meals you can have are:
- Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice; ingredients include cauliflower fried rice, seasonal vegetable, chicken, homemade garlic, and Thai basil sauce.
- Chicken Wrap; ingredients include cucumber, grilled chicken, mixed lettuce, tomato, homemade mayo, and tasty cheese.
- Chef’s Signature Pork Belly; ingredients include pork belly, stir-fried capsicum, broccoli, cauliflower with mixed seeds and apple cider beetroot puree.
- Seafood Cauliflower Fried Rice; ingredients include signature cauliflower fried rice, homemade garlic, seasonal seafood vegetable, and Thai basil sauce.
Riddick has different delicious low carb meals to choose from, and the cafe also caters for events.
Address: 1–3 The Mall, Templestowe Lower VIC 3107
Open Hours: Monday to Sunday 7 am -5 pm
Keto-friendly meals available are:
- Sticky BBQ Pork Rib with grilled sourdough, fried eggs with pico de gallo, and twice-baked beans.
- Fresh Salmon Poke bowl with cucumber, wakame, noodles, avocado, pickled carrots, and soybeans.
- Classic Chicken Caesar; ingredients include grilled chicken topped with panko-crumbed poached egg & brioche croutons and crispy prosciutto.
- Salt and Pepper Calamari Salad with chimichurri salsa, rocket, aioli, coriander, and fresh lime.
- Beef fajitas; ingredients include spiced seared beef, chimichurri, sour cream, guacamole, sauteed capsicum & onions, shredded cheese, brown rice, and three toasted tortillas.
Low Carb Gourmet
Low carb gourmet focuses on people interested in a Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) lifestyle. Also, most of the foods offered here are made of homemade products that are both free-range and natural.
Address: 44 Empress Rd, Surrey Hills VIC 3127, Australia
Open Hours: Monday to Thursday 9 am -5 pm, Closed Friday to Sunday
Low-carb friendly meals you can order are:
- Alfredo sauce with zoodles
- Bacon & halloumi bites
- Blueberry friand
- Butter chicken
- Cauli pilau
- Cauliflower rice
- Cheese and bacon frittata
- Chicken salad
- Lamb kofta with minted yogurt
- Massam curry
- Thai red/green curry with chicken
- Vanilla cakes
- Zucchini and beef lasagne
The Burger Block
The Burger Block is an Asian fusion burger cafe with a variety of low carb refined sugar-free meals.
Address: 85 Willsmere Rd, Kew Vic 3101
- Monday – Friday 9:30am -3:30pm
- Saturday 9:30am – 3pm
- Closed on Sunday and public holidays
Based on their menu, some low-carb and ketogenic meals you can have are:
- Red Lantern burger; ingredients include lettuce, Spanish onions, beef patty, tomato, American cheese, bacon, and wasabi mayo/hot chilli mayo.
- Chocka Block burger; bacon, beef patty, lettuce, American cheese, Spanish onions, BB’S Secret fusion sauce, and tomato.
- Teriyaki Chicken burger; ingredients include Spanish onions, Asian-Infused skinless grilled chicken breast, American cheese, tomato, lettuce, and teriyaki sauce & mayo.
- Yellow Block Road burger; ingredients include fried egg, chicken schnitzel, bacon, lettuce, American cheese, Spanish onions, tomato & mayo.
- Tempura Fish burger; ingredients include Fried Tempura Hake fillet, tomato, American cheese, lettuce, tartare sauce, and mayo.
- The Veggie Patch burger; fried veggie patty made of carrot potato, corn, onion, peas, tomato, American cheese, lettuce, Thai sweet chilli, beetroot, and mayo.
- Keto Beef Lasagne; ingredients include beef mince, coconut flour, basil, cheese, onion, cream, olive oil, ricotta, egg, tomatoes, salt, and xanthan gum.
- Pepperoni Pizza; ingredients include pepperoni, almond flour, cheese, tomatoes, eggs, basil, garlic, cream cheese, yeast, and garlic powder.
FAQs About Melbourne Restaurants & Cafes
It would be best if you avoided cheating meals and days on the keto diet. Consuming too many carbs can kick your body out of ketosis — and it takes several days to 1 week to get back into it. In the meantime, your weight loss may be disrupted.
If we're talking about traditional french fries made with potatoes, then the answer to this question. French fries made with potatoes are delicious. However, potatoes are very high in carbs, and a keto diet is low carb. However, these rutabaga fries are low carb and Keto friendly!
Bring on the burgers. It's not too good to be true—ground beef is keto-approved! The low-budget meat you know and love can be incorporated into so many keto recipes whether you're in the mood for Mexican, meatloaf, or maybe a little pasta action (with zoodles, of course).
Yes — assuming you avoid mayonnaise that's high in sugar or other carbs. Since ketosis is about restricting carbs to low levels and initiating your body's consumption of fats over sugars, mayo's high-fat, low-sugar profile makes it very keto-friendly.
The keto diet could cause low blood pressure, kidney stones, constipation, nutrient deficiencies and an increased risk of heart disease. Strict diets like keto could also cause social isolation or disordered eating. Keto is not safe for those with any conditions involving their pancreas, liver, thyroid or gallbladder.
Gone are the days when dieting was unnecessarily expensive, finding a restaurant offering the keto diet was almost impossible, and it would sometimes be hard to keep up with the diet. Nowadays, it is way much easier to find a decent restaurant with a couple of ketogenic diet meals on their menu at an affordable price.
Melbourne, being a big city, has some great restaurants that offer keto dishes, and the best part is that they are spread out throughout the city, so you are likely to find one regardless of where you are. The above are some of the nice restaurants in Melbourne where you can eat delicious and wholesome keto food.